A naturally sweet and creamy apple banana smoothie recipe. Quick, easy and delicious, it’s perfect for weekday mornings or an afternoon lift when your sweet tooth calls.
If you could get a hug in the form of a smoothie, this would be it!
Honestly, I know this apple banana smoothie looks a little simple, but it’s surprisingly good. So much so that I’m currently enjoying this several times a week.
Try it for breakfast served with a bowl of granola topped with vegan yogurt and sprinkled with berries.
This apple banana smoothie uses simple, affordable, everyday ingredients you probably already have.
This is gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. The full recipe card below provides exact quantities.
Recipe Ingredients for apple and banana smoothies:
- Apple, for their naturally sweet, crisp flavour
- Banana, for the flavour, of course, plus banana adds body and creaminess
- Hemp seeds, for their omega-3 fatty acids, and they also add creaminess
- Cinnamon to give the smoothie some spices with its warming, comforting flavour
- Almond milk, for its rich creamy nuttiness.
To make your own almond milk, see my recipe for how to make almond milk.
For the best-tasting apple and banana smoothies, use ripe bananas, which can be identified by brown spots which start to show on their skins.
Step-by-step instructions with images
This apple banana smoothie is soooo good guys!
Follow the step-by-step instructions below with images, or visit the recipe card for complete instructions.
Step 1 - Roughly chop the banana and apple and add the ingredients to your blender.
Step 2 - Blend until your apple banana smoothie is creamy and smooth throughout.
Step 3 - Pour the smoothie into two glasses to serve. Sprinkle with a little powdered cinnamon and shelled hemp seeds.
Swap up the flavours of your apple and banana smoothie with some of these alternatives:
- Hemp seeds - flax seeds and chia seeds make a great alternative to hemp seeds.
- Nut butter - add a tablespoon or two of almond, cashew butter or peanut butter for a nuttier and thicker smoothie.
- Almond milk - Swap with oat milk, or any other dairy-free milk you love or use coconut water instead.
- Cinnamon - Vanilla and a little powdered ginger both work beautifully in this smoothie.
- Dates - For extra sweetness, add a Medjool date or two to the blender.
- For a chocolate flavour, add a little carob powder or some raw cacao powder.
- Yogurt - For added tummy-loving goodness, blend in some vegan plain yogurt or make your own cashew yogurt.
- Oats - Add a couple of tablespoons of gluten-free rolled oats for more of an apple pie or apple crumble flavour, or if you just want a thicker smoothie.
Leftovers and storing
Your apple and banana smoothie is best enjoyed immediately. However, you can store it in the fridge in a lidded container for use later the same day.
For meal prep, add the ingredients (excluding the almond milk) to portion-size freezer bags and freeze for up to three months. Remove from the freezer for a few minutes before blending.
Use frozen bananas for gorgeously creamy, ice-cold smoothies. Alternatively, add 3-4 ice cubes to the blender and reduce the almond milk by half.
I hope that I have answered any questions you may have about this apple banana smoothies recipe. I’d love to know what you think if you make it. If you have any questions, please let me know. Please comment below, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Apples add natural sweetness and a slight acidity to smoothies and contain dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals.
Eating an apple and a banana each day can be a great way to get two of your five daily fruits and vegetables recommended as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Looking for other recipes like this apple and banana smoothie? Try these:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with apple and banana smoothies:
Apple Banana Smoothie (vegan)
- High speed blender.
- Chopping board.
- Paring knife.
- 240 ml (1 cup) Almond milk
- 2 Frozen bananas peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Apple chopped
- 2 tablespoon Shelled hemp seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Powdered cinnamon
- Step 1 - Add the apple banana smoothie ingredients to a high speed blender.240 ml (1 cup) Almond milk, 2 Frozen bananas, 1 Apple, 2 tablespoon Shelled hemp seeds, ¼ teaspoon Powdered cinnamon
- Step 2 - Blend the ingredients together for one to two minutes until smooth and creamy throughout.240 ml (1 cup) Almond milk, 1 Apple, 2 tablespoon Shelled hemp seeds, ¼ teaspoon Powdered cinnamon, 2 Frozen bananas