A crisp, tasty and refreshing apple cucumber salad recipe that's ready in 10 minutes and made with simple, everyday ingredients.
Thinly sliced cucumber, apple and radishes all covered in a luscious vegan lemon yogurt dressing filled with finely chopped fresh herbs.
This is a gorgeous little crunchy cucumber salad that's light, naturally sweet and made with:
- Radishes: pretty, bright pink thinly sliced radishes.
- Cucumber: half a medium-sized English cucumber. Keep the skin on for more crunch.
- Apple: you can use any eating apple. I love to use Granny Smiths here because they taste slightly tart and sweet at the same time. In fact, there's enough natural sweetness from the apple that you don't need to add any sweetener to the yogurt dressing.
- Fresh Herbs: use your favourite freshly chopped herbs with this apple cucumber salad. This version uses mint, parsley and chives.
See recipe card for quantities.
Reasons To Love This Salad
This cucumber apple salad is:
- Simple, healthy and delicious
- Takes only 10 minutes to make
- Pairs well with other dishes
- Easy to meal prep
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and vegan
Prepare this gloriously simple, tasty apple and cucumber salad in 10 minutes with just three steps:
Step 1: To prepare the yogurt dressing, add the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk everything together until smooth and creamy. Season to taste.
Step 2: To prepare the apple cucumber salad, thinly slice the apple, cucumber and radishes then add them to a bowl.
Step 3: Pour the dressing into the bowl and gently stir so everything is well coated.
To add more flavour to this chopped cucumber salad, sprinkle over a little lemon zest and a few more herbs before serving. Best enjoyed straight away or serve chilled.
Want to take this cucumber apple salad up a notch?
Here are some variations:
- Spicy - add a pinch of cumin, cayenne pepper and some finely diced chilli pepper to the dressing.
- Deluxe - add sliced fennel bulb and decorate with fennel fronds. How about, make your own gut-loving vegan cashew yogurt?
- Change it up - add thinly sliced celery, chickpeas, then serve on a bed of chicory leaves.
- Swap the herbs with others like oregano, dill, or coriander.
- Topping - for a beautiful juicy tang, top the salad with these delicious no-cook red onion pickles!
This dish is best enjoyed straight away. However, if you love meal prep and want to make it ahead of time, that's all good!
I recommend you store the salad dressing separately, and add it just before serving.
This is because salt draws out water from the cucumber. This makes dressing watery quite quickly.
This apple cucumber salad will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days with dressing on. After that, the dressing becomes watery, and the salad becomes soggy.
It's best to store the dressing seperately and mix everything together before serving.
Not suitable for freezing.
To make cucumbers fun to eat, slice them lengthways into sticks and dip them into your favourite dressings and spreads.
Cucumbers are versatile and go well with many foods, such as tomatoes, avocado, carrots, watermelon and herbs dill, mint, parsley, basil and coriander.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
It also makes a great accompaniment to rich and spicy dishes, helping to balance out intense flavours. Or scooped up into flatbreads with a glass of freshly squeezed juice or a delicious smoothie.
Apple Cucumber Salad
- 150 g plain vegan yogurt (heaping ½ cup )
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon each of fresh parsley, mint and chives (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ English cucumber
- 1 green apple (Granny Smiths)
- 6 radishes
- Prepare the dressing: Pour 150g plain yogurt into a bowl and add lemon juice, garlic, salt and finely chopped herbs. Whisk everything together lightly until smooth and creamy. Do a taste test and add more seasoning if needed.150 g plain vegan yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon each of fresh parsley, mint and chives, ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare the salad: With a paring knife, slice half an English cucumber lengthwise down the middle. Now thinly slice each half into half moons. Take the apple and cut it into quarters, discarding the core. Slice the apple pieces widthways to be about the same thickness as the cucumber. Thinly slice the radishes into rounds.½ English cucumber, 1 green apple, 6 radishes
- Mix: Add the sliced ingredients to a medium size bowl and pour over the herby yogurt dressing. Stir together to coat everything in the dressing.
- This works well with any sweet non-cooking apple.
- If you're making this recipe in advance, I recommend storing the dressing seperately and mixing everthing together gently just before serving.
- Best served chilled.
- Use within 2 days.