A fresh, vibrant and juicy mango cucumber salad served with a sweet and tangy chilli lime dressing. Perfect as a summer side salad this mango cucumber salad is great to share with friends! Ready in about 10 minutes.
This simple salad of mango slices with crisp, hydrating cucumber is so delicious that it's quickly becoming a regular feature at my kitchen table. 🙂
Things are buzzing now that the weather's warming up a little in the UK. We're starting to see more fruit in the stores, thank goodness.
This mango cucumber salad is not only quick and easy to make but, it's gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar free.
Double or triple the recipe to share at bbq's, picnics for larger groups or for meal prep lovers you can make it in advance and include it in your lunch boxes for the week.
And I love this cucumber mango salad. It's the last in my short series of four cucumber salad recipes. The other three are this carrot and cucumber salad, vegan cucumber salad, and my apple cucumber salad.
I hope you'll check them out and enjoy them as much as I do. 🙂
Ingredients and Substitutions
Check out the ingredients and substitutions below for more ideas on this cucumber mango salad.
- Cucumber - Swap the English cucumber out for Persian or baby cucumbers and they'll add more crunch.
- Mango - chopped watermelon, pineapple slices or orange segments are fab alternatives.
- Lime juice - try a different citrus like orange, lemon or pink grapefruit.
- Sesame oil - I use untoasted sesame oil here for it's mild, gentle taste. You could use extra virgin olive oil for a fruitier flavour.
- Garlic - if you're not a fan of raw garlic, try powdered garlic instead or omit the garlic altogether.
- Coriander - mint and basil make flavourful alternatives.
- Chilli - you could swap the birdseye chilli for any other variety to suit your taste or use dried chilli, a pinch of chilli powder or cayenne pepper.
Oil-Free. For an oil-free version of this cucumber mango salad, leave out the oil.
Don't like spicy foods? Leave out the birdseye chilli and garlic.
Go without the dressing. If the dressing doesn't tempt you, a bowl of juicy fruit slices on their own are still amazing tasting.
TIP. If you're going to serve it without the dressing, be sure to use really ripe mango because all the sweetness goes so brilliantly with a squeeze of lime.
Please see the recipe card below for full details and instructions on preparing this mango cucumber salad.
Step By Step Instructions
Prepare this mango cucumber salad in three simple steps as follows:
Step 1. Finely chop the chilli, crush the garlic and juice a lime to create the salad dressing. Stir all the dressing ingredients until the salt disintegrates.
Step 2. Peel and slice the mango into strips. Finally, cut the cucumber into long thin pieces so they're a roughly similar size and shape to the mango.
Step 3. Add the cucumber and mango salad to a plate. Drizzle over as much dressing as you want, then sprinkle with some torn coriander leaves to serve. I like to serve this salad with the dressing on the side so everyone can help themselves.
Step 1. Prepare the spicy salad dressing by chopping chilli, crushing garlic and juicing a lime.
Step 2. Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
Step 3. Slice the fruit a similar size and pop onto a plate.
Add some spicy chilli lime dressing to this mango cucumber salad to serve.
How to store leftovers.
This cucumber mango salad is best enjoyed on the same day, but you could make it in advance and store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For best results with storing, keep the dressing in a small container separately and drizzle over the salad 15 minutes before serving.
Not suitable for freezing.
Try my other cucumber based raw salad recipes in this series:
These are my favourite dishes to serve with mango cucumber salad:
Mango Cucumber Salad
- Chopping board.
- Paring knife.
- handheld juicer
- Garlic crusher
- Small bowl
- 1 mango
- 1 cucumber
- a few coriander and mint leaves torn
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 birdseye chilli finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil untoasted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or date paste
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Prepare the dressing. Half the lime and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Add a crushed garlic clove, a finely chopped birdseye chilli and the rest of the dressing ingredients and stir together until fully combined. Do a taste test to see if it needs more salt. Adjust if necessary then place to one side.1 lime, 1 birdseye chilli, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon maple syrup or date paste, 1 small garlic clove, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Slice the fruit. Cut the mango in half lengthways, either side of the stone. With each half, slice down into the soft fruit to make long segments. Using a spoon, scoop the slices out from the peel. Discard the mango peel and the stone. Taking the cucumber, cut it in half then slice it into long pieces lengthways, roughly the same size as the mango pieces.1 mango, 1 cucumber
- To Serve. Add the slices of fruit onto a serving dish and scatter over some torn mint and coriander leaves. With a spoon, pour over a little of the salad dressing, leaving the remainder in a dish on the side for people to help themselves.a few coriander and mint leaves