A delicious vegan Waldorf salad made with apples, grapes, celery, walnuts and wrapped in a creamy vegan mayo dressing. It’s refreshingly light, crisp and naturally sweet. Ready in under 10 minutes.
This simple salad recipe is perfect for lunches, picnics and buffets served with leafy greens and a big squeeze of citrus.
What you’ll need
This recipe is ridiculously easy to put together which makes it a great reason to try it if you haven’t tried a Waldorf salad before.
You literally need a bowl, a paring knife and a spoon to mix it all together.
Ingredients and substitutions
This recipe is vegan, plant based, gluten free. There's no eggs, no dairy, no sweetener like maple syrup or any other here.
Sweetener - I don't think it needs any sweetener because the fruit is sweet enough.
Yogurt - this recipe also tastes delicious substituting cashew mayo with a good quality plain vegan yogurt like a coconut yogurt or one made with oats.
Colours - swap round the colours just for fun by using red apple and green grapes.
Fresh herbs - another yummy thing to do is to add in a tablespoon of finely chopped herbs like tarragon, parsley or dill.
Green apple - green for me. Granny Smiths work really well. They have a slightly tart flavour which works great in salads.
Red Grapes - sweet, juicy and full of nutrients.
Celery - crunchy and refreshing.
Walnuts - earthy, mild tasting, can also taste slightly bitter.
Mayo - use any vegan mayo that you like. Here's my recipe for cashew mayonnaise.
Apple cider vinegar - if you prefer you could stir in a little raw apple cider vinegar into your mayonnaise which will give more of a tangy flavour to it. Try one teaspoon at time until you reach the intensity you like.
I love a good raw apple cider vinegar. My dad makes his own which is amazing!
More raw vegan salads you may like:
- Pomegranate chickpea salad
- Asparagus and pea shoot salad
- Orange fennel salad with herby cauliflower couscous
- Peach and watercress salad
- Watermelon chickpea salad
If you find walnuts hard to digest you might try soaking them instead for a few hours overnight in water to see if that helps. Rinse and drain them thoroughly before using.
I like to keep recipes simple with few ingredients and recommend you use a good quality vegan mayonnaise.
To make this a completely raw vegan Waldorf salad, replace store bought mayonnaise with a raw vegan one.
I love this recipe which is oil free and only 4 ingredients. Check it out >> raw vegan mayonnaise.
Vegan Waldorf Salad
- Paring knife.
- Chopping board.
- Spoon for mixing.
- 1 small green apple
- 1 celery stick.
- a handful red grapes (½ cup / 60g).
- big handful of walnut halves (½ cup / 50g).
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise.
- salt and freshly ground pepper.
To serve (optional)
- cos leaf lettuce (a handful).
- lemon wedges.
- Dice the apple into small pieces and discard the core. Slice the celery thinly into little half moons and slice the grapes in half. Break up any extra large pieces of walnut so they are more or less a similar size.
- Place the celery, fruit and nuts into a bowl then add mayonnaise. Gently stir it all together with a spoon, until it has a nice light coating. Do a taste test and add a little salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Serve with lemon wedges and green salad leaves (optional).
Hey, did you like this recipe? If so it would mean the world to me if you would please Pin this to your Pinterest boards or even share it on social media so others can find it too.
I’m off for some tea.
Love raw food.
Delicious! Waldorf Salad has always been one of my faves but I recently went vegan and wasn’t sure if I could enjoy it again. So glad I found this recipe! It was delicious and I will make over and over again!