The key to making a great raw kale salad is to marinate the kale in whatever dressing you decide to use. The process of marinating softens the kale leaves which makes them a really enjoyable alternative to other green salad or vegetable leaves.
Kale is also high in dietary fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals making it super nutritious!
Kale, beetroot and walnut salad.
- Chopping board.
- Paring knife.
- small hand whisk or fork.
- mixing bowl.
- small jar with a lid.
- A large handful of whole leaf kale.
- ¼ of small red onion.
- 1 baby avocado.
- 6 cherry tomatoes.
- 1 whole small beetroot.
- a small handful walnuts
- 3 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup to taste.
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard.
- A few sprigs fresh parsley.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the kale thoroughly in cold water, rinse and dry. Cut out the stem running along each leaf and discard. Then chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chopped kale into the mixing bowl and drizzle over half the dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves.
- With clean hands, slice the red onion very thinly and half the cherry tomatoes. Half the avocado and remove the pit. Dice the avocado into bite size pieces.
- To make the dressing add the dressing ingredients to a jar. Put on the lid and shake until evenly combined.
- Spiralize the beetroot.
- Place the kale into a plate, sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients.
- Do a taste test and drizzle over a little more dressing if needed, before serving.
I'm off to make some tea. Happy Raw Food Eating!