This creamy hemp seed ranch dressing is perfect for pouring over salads and for dipping. Filled with fresh green herbs it's oil-free, nut free and gluten-free. Ready in 5 minutes.
This really is one of those salad dressings that goes with everything, from simple sliced tomatoes with avocado to vegetables noodles and big green salads. It's one of my favourite plant-based dressings of all time and it never gets boring.
This recipe uses fresh ingredients, instead of the usual dried versions, to create a refreshing tasting raw vegan dressing that's a beautiful green colour. I use hemp seeds instead of cashew nuts, mayonnaise or yogurt.
- fresh dill
- fresh parsley
- fresh chives
- spring onion
- fresh garlic
- lemon and mustard add a refreshing tang
Hemp seeds are a nutritional powerhouse and high in protein. They contain minerals including copper, zinc, calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron and phosphorous as well as some vitamins (source).
See recipe card for quantities.
The two steps in this raw vegan recipe make this dressing super easy to do.
Making your own dressings means you can control the ingredients. Using real foods to create your favourite flavours is a simple way to stay healthy and really enjoy food at its best.
Step 1. Place ingredients into a small blender.
Step 2. Blend until smooth and creamy.
TIP: If your blender isn't particularly powerful, you might want to try and grind the hemp hearts into a powder first, before adding the remaining ingredients.
Depending on the equipment available, I'll sometimes do this to create a creamier texture with my salad dressings and sauces.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Hemp Seed Ranch Dressing
- High speed blender.
- Paring knife.
- Chopping board.
- 4 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 60 ml water
- ½ lemon juice of
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- Roughly chop the spring onion and garlic.
- Add ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until a smooth and creamy consistency is achieved.
- Do a taste test and adjust accordingly. If more tang is required you can add a pinch more mustard or salt before blending together once more. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Hemp seeds are easily incorporated into meals, drinks and snacks. Some examples include:
Sprinkle some over breakfast cereal,
add to smoothies,
use them to create dairy-free milk,
add to desserts or soups
create creamy vegan dressings with them.