A juicy summer watermelon chickpea salad made with sprouted chickpeas, rocket, olives, cucumbers and fresh herbs.
I kid you not this recipe is absolutely delicious! Watermelon is the sweet ingredient in this salad. For the best flavour you’ll want to choose a ripe juicy watermelon for the job and serve it nice and cold.
How to choose a ripe watermelon.
Watermelons tend to come in 2 shapes: an oval or round shape. Look for a watermelon that is perfectly round as these tend to be the sweetest and most ripe.
Also, look for the watermelon that’s a gorgeously deep green colour with a nice big creamy yellow patch on the bottom where it will have sat on the vine in full sun ripening.
There should also be brown webbing on it and when you pick one up it should feel heavier than it looks.
Other sprouted chickpea recipes.
If you'd like to know how to sprout your own chickpeas try my blog post How To Sprout Chickpeas.
Baby Cucumbers - I chose baby cucumbers for this recipe just for a change. They’re small, measuring about 4-6 inches long. Quite firm in texture and crunchy with very little in the way of seeded central area unlike the much larger more watery full grown English cucumber. You don’t need to peel baby cucumbers. I love that they’re not watery like a full English cucumber is. They chop up very quickly and easily.
Wild Rocket - I love the pepperiness of the flavour of rocket in this dish that lines the salad plate as it pairs really well with the sweetness of watermelon, saltiness of the olives, the finely diced onions and fresh herbs.
Rocket brings it all together really neatly. Of course, feel free to choose whatever leafy greens you like or just use up whatever you have in the fridge, so nothing goes to waste.
Olives - I chose Greek kalamata olives for this dish because I just love how naturally soft in texture they are.
If you have a favourite then use those. Large Italian green olives also work really well here.
Watermelon chickpea salad
- Sharp knife.
- Chopping board.
- Large plate or serving bowl.
- 60g or a large handful of rocket leaves.
- ¾ cup diced watermelon.
- 2 baby cucumbers.
- ½ cup (65g) sprouted chickpeas.
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes.
- handful kalamata olives.
- ¼ small red onion.
- 2 tablespoon each fresh mint, parsley & dill.
Watermelon lime dressing.
- ¼ cup diced watermelon.
- juice of ½ a lime.
- 1 small garlic clove.
- ¼ teaspoon sumac.
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- To prepare the fruits, chop the watermelon into bite size pieces, dice the cucumber into small rounds & half the cherry tomatoes.
- Finely slice the red onion & roughly chop the fresh herbs.
- Add a large handful of rocket to a plate or bowl. Top with watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber & sprouted chickpeas.
- Sprinkle the salad with the finely diced red onion, olives & fresh herbs.
- To make the dressing blend ¼ cup watermelon with the sumac, crushed garlic & freshly squeezed lime juice until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve the salad with the watermelon dressing on the side.
Hey, do you like this recipe?
If so, will you consider buying me a coffee to help support the website running costs? Or maybe you could share this post with your friends on social? Thanks!
I’m off for some tea.