This smashed green pea and avocado smash really brightens up lunches! Great as a spread or a dip. Creamy avocado mixed with the freshest english garden peas, chipotle chilli flakes and lime.
Ah! - the humble garden pea. Available all year round and stored in freezers everywhere. They’re a reliable favourite in our family, that’s for sure.
Bright green, sweet with a little bite when eaten uncooked, they’re especially lovely if you pick them from the garden in Summer.
At one point they were the only vegetable my kids would reliably eat without pulling a face (I can’t be alone in that, right?).
This recipe is really easy to prepare if you don’t have much time. Great on the go packed with crudités into your lunch box.
Why a Pea and Avocado Recipe?
Avocado on toast used to be a favourite of mine for a quick breakfast, lunch or snack. Giving up bread made me think of what else I might do so I created a dip.
Using peas with avocado is a great way to add in more nutrients. Protein from the peas definitely makes this more satiating.
Adding the peas stretches out the healthy fat in the avocado. It makes the avocado go further.
- Afternoon Snack: Yes, you could absolutely add it to your mixer with a little water and blend into a creamy dip for tortillas, crackers and veggies. Makes a great afternoon snack.
- Quick Lunch: How about adding this to your favourite wrap stuffed with salad leaves, vegan cheese and your favourite dressing? Yummy for lunch.
- Dinner for Two: Add a little water and lime juice to the dish and stir through to make a gorgeous slightly chunky sauce. Top the sauce with a few halved fresh cherry tomatoes plus a crushed garlic clove. Finally, stir through 2 bowls of your favourite vegetable noodles. That’s a light dinner for two.
More raw dips and dressings you may like:
Change up the Flavours.
If you want to mix up the flavours to create new versions for yourself here are some suggestions:
- Add garlic or garlic powder.
- Swap the chipotle chilli flakes with little chopped fresh chilli.
- Swap the coriander leaf with mint, parsley or basil.
- Replace the lime with lemon juice.
- Add a few microgreens to top when serving.
Pea and Avocado Smash
- Chopping board.
- Paring knife.
- a small bowl.
- a fork.
- a citrus juicer.
- 1 scant cup of fresh peas
- 1 ripe avocado.
- 1 lime.
- 2 spring onions.
- few sprigs of fresh coriander.
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes.
- a pinch of sea salt.
- Top and tale the spring onions and finely slice them. Finely chop the coriander. Juice the lime.
- Slice the avocado into 2. Discard the seed and skin. Mash with a fork.
- Add peas to the mashed avocado. Give them a really good smash with your fork so they are mostly crushed but still keep some of the texture. Stir.
- Add the spring onion, lime juice and chipotle flakes to the bowl. Stir then taste. Add sea salt to your own liking.
The original recipe.
This recipe has been updated. In my original recipe this dish was created using a blender. It made a pretty good garden party raw vegan dip / side. Almost like a smooth and creamy pea guacamole.
I re-created it when my food processor broke. I really love it’s more chunky texture and consistency, the sourness of the lime juice and the taste from the sea salt flakes. It all fits very well together as a light a bright green pea spread that’s very easy to make for a quick lunch. It also goes brilliantly on crackers and toast!
I just love it and I hope you will too.
Hey, did you like this recipe? If so it would mean the world to me if you would please Pin this to your Pinterest boards or even share it on social media so others can find it too.
Enjoy your spicy pea and avocado mash for lunch, as a snack, or turn it into a sauce and enjoy it for dinner.
I’m off for some tea.
LOVE RAW FOOD
mum, dog owner, lover of raw food